Thursday, December 24, 2015

Unconditional Love

Some time ago, at work, a colleague and I were talking about our children. It is no secret at work that they are adopted - they watched me leave work not pregnant and come back 12 months later with 2 pre school aged children. Then she made a comment that stopped me in my tracks:


"it must be so hard to love them as much as birth children"


I couldn't believe what I was hearing.


She really thought that all those parents who adopt children, take on step children, generally look after, care for, and love children that are not biologically linked to them didn't love them as much as a birth parent loves the child they have created.


It made me desperately sad.


But then I thought about it some more. I know lots of parents who have taken on the children of their parents, who have adopted and they all love their children. In most instances there is no difference between then and the families with birth children that we know and spend time with.


I have nothing to compare it to. I don't have birth children so I may never really understand whether I would love a birth child more than I love the children that I have. What I do know is that I love my children. Unconditionally. I would move heaven and earth for them, take them to the stars and bring them back again and as far as I am concerned that is all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment