Monday, March 16, 2015

Lessons

This week I have reached the end of my patience when it comes to meal times. Often the children will push away food and declare that they 'don't want that'. I will never force a child that isn't hungry to eat, force a child to eat something that they did not like nor would I ever deny a hungry child something but I will not tolerate unnecessary waste. Yesterday was such a meal. Fishcakes (that they had eaten many times before) and vegetables were presented, both children pushed them away and asked for something different. They were given a choice. Eat the meal before them or leave the table and have it for the next meal. There was no shouting, no getting cross and no tears. Both children were aware of the consequences of their choice.

Both chose to leave the table.

This morning, for breakfast, I retrieved the fishcakes from the fridge and reheated. Both were presented with the meal they refused. Both were hungry. Both asked for something different - proper breakfast food was one request. I explained that I was not wasting food when so many in this world live without was not acceptable. Both children understood that they would have their normal meals at school but I would continue to present this meal until it was eaten although next time it would be cold. They ate their breakfast whilst it was still warm.

They went to school having eaten and had a drink. They went to school without being shouted at or told off and I remained calm throughout.

Hopefully this was a lesson learnt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment