Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Rules of Survival - The Wheels on the Car go . . . . .


As a big fan of the car over the bus or train for many different reasons we do most of our long distance in the car. I much prefer to leave when I am ready and I don't want to be subjected to other passengers in the same way I am pretty sure that they don't want to listen to me entertain my little darlings for a couple of hours.

1) Toys! Lots of small, none noise making bits and pieces from books to drawing pads (those magnetic ones) and even the tablet (on silent but the risk of sound, exceptionably irritating sound, is high). We can also pass a happy hour in the car taking it in turns to sing songs and those with hand actions are great thus 'heads, shoulders, knees and toes' is popular as is 'Incey Wincey Spider' and 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'. We are also getting better at I Spy, Spot It and we are trying to teach them Rock, Paper, Scissors (Lizard, Spock will come later).

2) Encourage sleep. We find that after they have eaten lunch they are much more likely to take a nap. We have stories on CD which are also conducive of a little snooze so use them where possible. Those moments of peace whilst we are travelling are treasured as they make the journey feel much quicker. As a child I was great at sleeping in the car and have kept this skill into adulthood - not great when driving of course nor when the driver expects you to entertain them.

3) Pack snacks. I learnt the hard way that anything that melts is bad and the same is true of things that can be spread all over the back of the car. Raisins might sound like a good idea but they get everywhere! I have to confess that I do limit liquids as the constant 'I want a wee wee' is also a nightmare especially when you know that you have passed the last service centre for 20 miles, the only place to stop is a lay-by and youngest will not go in a bush. Favoured snacks at the moment include mini cheddars/crackers (although there is a crumb issue), larger dried fruit varieties and

4) Plan to stop. A lot depends on how far we are travelling but I get restless after a little while in the car and the kids are no different. For any journey over 2 hours we plan to stop and get out of the car. it is great if we can stop somewhere there is the possibility to have a run around but that is not always the case so we improvise,

5) Be prepared for arrival - whether at your destination or back at home. We go camping a lot and always have an idea of how we are going to manage the first hour as we have to entertain 2 children who have cabin fever from being stuck in the car but we also have the tent to pitch and sort ready for habitation. We are helped when someone is on hand to do the entertaining bit but otherwise the toy bucket has to be easily accessible. If raining then a car dive for puddlesuits and Wellington boots has to be completed as the priority.

Not that long ago I had to use the train to London and I have to compliment the Dad sat with her toddler behind me - she giggled pretty much the whole was there (just less than hour) so whatever he had done to keep her happy and entertained must have worked and she was a pleasure to listen to. Maybe I should have asked his secret before I left the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment