Friday, November 16, 2012

Safety First

Our next purchase and possible one of the more expensive is car seats. I have been trying to do some research –asking for recommendations, looking for online guides and in the shops and quite honestly I am confused (again).

There is so much choice, so many options and such a difference in price between the different brands which got me asking myself if I was paying for a brand name or if the more expensive seats really are the safest for my children. At the end of the day it is their safety that is of the utmost importance and I will not risk their safety to save money but also I would rather not pay over the odds if I don’t need to.

We do travel in the car a fair bit and I can’t see that changing once the children are with us and settled – to visit family and friends, for days out, and for general every day purposes. We live in a quiet rural village that does not benefit from public transport so I can’t see me every leaving the house to catch a bus or a train without using the car first.

So, back to car seats. Do I want 2 stage 1-2-3 seats or a stage 1 seat and a stage 1-2-3 seat with a plan to move about in the future and to get a booster seat? Removable and washable covers are a must but I can’t see the purpose of cup holders. 5-point harness look best but having it removable for when the seat moves up to using the actual seat belt. Colour is not to be worried about but I do want them to comfortable as well as safe.

It is hard talking to ‘normal’ parents as they all have a different starting point – a stage 0 baby seat and I really don’t need that. There also seems to be a massive difference in recommendations based on the cars, the children and the use that parents put their car seats to. It is so confusing my brain is fizzled.

Anyway, next stop, a shop where I can try seats in our car to see which fits best.

1 comment:

  1. I went with a Britax evolva first time around, but second time I blew the budget on a Kiddy car seat - no 5 point harness, light, very safe but might be quite warm in the summer. AD2 started in the Evolva but kept complaining about the straps, Kiddy doesn't have that issue, but I can see that some children wouldn't like the cushion part.

    ReplyDelete