Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Training Course Take 2

Yesterday we attended the second of the 3 training courses we were invited to attend, this one on Foetal Alcohol Syndrome and Neo-Natal Abstintance.

I always surprises me the number of children in the care system suspected of having some form of after effect from alcohol exposure during pregnancy as well as how far reaching the spectrum is. I thought I would be angrier with the women who drank during pregnancy but I just feel sorry for them. I find it very sad that they know no better, that they don’t have the necessary information and support to stop their drinking and more importantly that there is something more important that their unborn children. 

The most interesting element of the course was listening to a gentleman from FASD talking about his girls – 2 with Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and 1 without. I had hoped to get a lot more about how to cope with children on this spectrum but what I did come away with was a reminder that all children are different and what works for one might not work for another and whilst I will make mistakes as a parent I will also learn what is best of my children.

I would recommend anyone wanting to learn more visit this website - http://www.fasdtrust.co.uk/

In other news we meet some more very interesting foster carers and I ready admire the work they do to support children and young people when they come into the care system plus we also make an expedition to investigate car seats and we have made a decision after lot of help from Mr Halfords and mr Kiddicare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment