Monday, September 23, 2013

Fostering to Adopt

This is a new concept that the government seem to be really keen on at the moment and until attending the focus group last week it wasn't really something I had given much thought.
I had originally thought it referred to existing foster carers and a way to make adopting a children already in their care easier (something that I feel would have great merit and be of great benefit to the children and the carers) and it turns out I am sot of wrong. It is a lot more than that and I am still struggling to get my head around how it can be implemented. At the end of it all it looks good for the children but not for always the 'parents' which can't be a good thing.

I was asked the question: would I foster a child on the off chance that I might be able to adopt that child? My response was no. I would not take the risk that the child was removed from me and placed elsewhere which is the biggest risk of the fostering to adopt scheme.

I should add, foster carers have my utmost respect. They have to bond with the children in their care at all times knowing that they will be moved onwards and that saying goodbye is one of the main reasons fostering was not an option for me. Saying goodbye to a child I loved, to a child that I was attached to and emotionally involved with would be too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment