Friday, February 28, 2014

Story time


My favourite time of day is those 10 minutes before bed time, after bath time and snuggled in bed for a story.

Some of our favourites include:
The Tiger Who Came to Tea
Harry and the Bucket Full of Dinosaurs
Mog on Fox Night
Usbourne bedtime stories for boys
Tiddler, the story telling fish
Monkey Puzzle

 I like stories to be interactive; we talk about what we can see in the pictures, what might be coming next and how the characters are feeling. I like the children to count things, label colours and make the animal noises to bring the stories to life. We do have stories at other times of the day, in fact whenever the children ask for a story they can choose a book and I we will read together.

I love books, I love reading and having a kindle as well means that I always have the ability to read something no matter where I am. I would like my children to have the same passion for reading and not just one genre. We all need to read to learn things but, for me, reading stories whether they be children's stories or my grown up  literature (I love fanstasy books as well as sci-fi and historical fiction with my book shelves been cluttered with alsorts).

But, to read I need to help them learn to read and that starts with the letters of the alphabet which oldest and are have started on recently. I am trying lots of different things from acitivty books to encourge and develop pencil skills, posters with the letters, getting him to write them out on paper and his chalf board plus pointing them out when we are reading together plus his leapfrog pad has letter games which he is learning to play. It is going to take time, he is still stubborn and will do much more for pre school and for Grandma than he will for me but he is a bright little boy and i am sure he will get there given time.

Then, he can read to me. I can't wait.   

1 comment:

  1. Have you read the monster bed? It was mine and my brothers favourite story as children and I think the smalls would both enjoy it! Lots of opportunity for silly voices and things too :)

    ReplyDelete