Friday, February 7, 2014

The Reality of Being a Working Mum

I have been back in work for 4 weeks now and the reality of it all has really hit home.

Guilt. Lots of it. My time has suddenly  become so much more precious as I have so little of it to spend enjoying the company of my children.

Why? 37 hours a week sat at my desk. Added to that a further hour and a half each day driving there and back. Adding their bed times means that my time with them during the week is limited and sometimes it is less than 2 hours a day. I figured that I would be able to make more effort at the weekends but we are all so tired - it is a long week for us all and it feels like the average Saturday is a calm and chilled out day where we all recharge our batteries. it doesn't leave much scope for doing some of the more exciting things in life.

I am really looking forward to half term as taking some holidays will mean that I get chance to spend some quality time but I don't have enough annual leave to do that for every holiday that they children get. For now my plan is to concentrate on the weekend, each one as it comes and hopefully we can do some of the fun things that are on the calmer side. I am sure that given time the school routine will become easier for them and, hopefully, for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment