Monday, May 11, 2015

How to deal with an angry Mummy.

I thought I had experienced being angry with the children. I was wrong

A little while ago I went into oldest's bedroom and saw, jammed down the side of his bed, the shredded remains of a child hood book. My book. A book that I have has for over 20 years. It was destroyed. I was livid. So angry that I stood in front of him and sobbed with rage. It turns out that, because he went to bed and had story time when he wanted to watch some cartoons he was angry with me and my book was the object of his anger. I have no idea why he chose my book. I would rather have dealt with a temper tantrum.

It is not the first time that the object of his temper has been books, the central page of his school reading book when he didn't want to read it, the spine of his favourite dinosaur fact book when he was asked to calm down quietly with a book and other, less memorable occasions when it was just the odd page being torn. I can't imagine my world without books, I have many and have always enjoyed reading. I don't have many of the books of my childhood left but I did save the few that were precious to me - the ones that I have the fondest memories of, the ones I wanted to share with my children so we could build more memories with them. I have taken these books away - completely out of sight and reach. I have also taken all his nice books away (books that I was be upset if he damaged) leaving him with a small pile of old, already tatty books, most of which he has no attachment to and many which are aimed at children younger than he is,

My book is not repairable and it is irreplaceable. My son is also irreplaceable. Our relationship needs some repair work. I have already started but, for the time being I don't trust him and he will have to earn my trust again. Regardless of how much I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment