Tuesday, November 24, 2015

It's the most wonderful time of the year . . . .

Christmas is all about children.
We are only buying gifts for the children.

It was said so many times before there were children in my world and it sounded like common sense. When it came to the time that we wanted children but there were none they were some of the cruellest words I heard. As we gear up towards the season for being jolly I am reminded that, for many who are still waiting for children to enjoy Christmas with, this is still a very painful time of year where the void is even more pronounced. I try to be sensitive to people around me, I know that I don't always succeed but I do try. I offer to them an apology if I do cause pain but also a prayer of hope that the void can filled for future Christmases.

In our house we do have to be careful at this time of year for another reason. Our children are very aware of the time of year and very aware that, in their short lives, 2 of their biggest moves occurred after Christmas. Despite reassurance we see in their behaviour that there is a deep rooted concern that it will happen again. I has tarnished the previous 2 years as we try to keep things low key and without to much change to routine (always cue for unsettled behaviours) but school don't help as classes are changed to make room for performances and their rehearsals, there are parties, trips to see Father Christmas and the Christmas lights plus visits and visitors and the house is different with the tree and the decorations. Put into context it is enough to unsettle even the most settled of souls never mind children like mine.

It is hard to get my head around the fact that there is still a degree of uncertainty about the permanence of their place with us. For me, they were permanent the moment I met them but I am the adult and therefore in a position of 'knowing'.


But I am not 4 or even 6 years old with multiple moves already under my belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment