Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Out of this World





It is great that the kids bring homework projects from school for the holiday - there is always an opportunity for something really creative and fun. This half term oldest brought his work sheet home, it said 'Out of this World'. "I want to make a rocket". Not a space station or a solar system or anything else. A rocket.



Ok, we can do this. After a couple of days with Grandparents whilst we collected supplies it was time for oldest and his dad (youngest helping) to make this rocket. His dad had collected cardboard tubing from a local carpet shop - yep a carpet shop. Thus the tubing must have been at least 8 foot long. He had 2 of them. When I asked him how big it was going to be the answer was no bigger than oldest. I was ok with that, He lied.



I got home from work to be presented with not one, but two rockets. Neither of them the size of oldest or smaller. The first, resourced and researched and modelled on a Russian rocket was sat, 5 foot tall and looking magnificent. The second, i was told, was a 2-stage rocket and so in 2 pieces. Both pieces 5 foot in height - when outside the smaller firsts inside the other and this too was covered and paper machie drying and ready for painting.



My first thought was ' how I am going to get them into school?'

The next night I got home to see the painting version. WOW!


The I had to get it into school. I had to use the larger of our 2 cars and got some serious looks as I carried one under my arm, had oldest carrying one of his shoulder and helped youngest manage the third. I was glad it wasn't raining. They went straight into the classroom and the teacher's look was one of pure horror - I am not sure she expected anything as 'big'. Even the year 2 teacher came for a look.


What I don't want is them back at the end of term. I am not sure that I will be that lucky.





No comments:

Post a Comment