Monday, October 10, 2011

Baby Loss Awareness Week

This week is Baby Loss Awareness week and it the aim is to increase the awareness of the loss of all babies from those miscarried early in pregnancy to those born sleeping and those that are taken to Heaven soon after birth.

My experience of baby loss is a miscarriage at 7 weeks. To me, it doesn't matter that I never saw my baby or held my baby or listen to a heart beat - it was still my baby and when I lost it I grieved. And I was allowed to.

At the time I felt a great deal of guilt for my grief. All around me the message was it was 'only a few cells' and it was 'not a real baby' and my grief was not always recognised as valid but I am lucky in the family and friends that recognised my grief and allowed me to grieve in the way that I needed to find acceptance of what had happened and to move forwards with my life.

All this being said I would like to share the story of my miscarriage here but as it is already on my other blog - vicfish-thelongandwindingroad.blogspot.com I have decided not to. With the anniversary of my loss less than 2 weeks away I do feel it would be too painful at the moment as I will do this properly for that anniversary.


I think, in my opinion, the most important thing is to remember that the loss of babies affects so many people that it needs to be remembered and those who have to go through this are not left feeling alone and isolated in their grief but supported in what can only be described as a life shattering, devastating event.

No comments:

Post a Comment