Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A telling off.

I started my diet 6 days ago with the very best of intentions - no more eating crap, no more eating too much, more exercise and getting my 5 a day. So, when a friend offered to help and support me I was touched by her kindness. She asked me to show her my first few days food diary which I was proud of as they were heavy on the fruit and veg, not a chocolate or biscuit in sight.

How shocked was I when she called me and gave me a proper telling off? Why? Because my calorie count was, in her words, 'dangerously low'. It turns out that there is a minimum calorie intake which I need to eat in a day (1200 plus any extra for any exercise I do) and I had been so very proud of a diet that added up to less than 900 a day. Starvation mode was the thing that I was told I was doing to myself and I had no idea. Turns out that maybe I needed more from the nurse than I realised.

After I calmed down and reasessed everything another supportive friend suggested I use Myfitnesspal.com so I can track what I am eating and what exercise I am doing and it gives me my calorie intake and breaks down the food groups I need to (carbs, proteins and fats) and this has given me some more control but it does feel weird to look at my food and see that I am not eating enough although it is making me plan ahead as I need to have a rough idea of what I am doing though the day so that I am spreading food through the day and not leaving everything to my evening meal.

I am hoping that moving forwards I have the tools and support I will need to choose wisely and in support of my goals with complete control.

No comments:

Post a Comment