Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Matching Panel – Preparation

We have a confirmed date for when we go to our matching panel, for a while but until all the paperwork was updated and submitted it was not confirmed and quite frankly I was terrified it would not be in before the deadline and now it is submitted I am still terrified. This will be the same group of people whom we went in front of for our approval panel however so much more is riding on this one appointment.

The last panel were so focused on 2 elements of our lives that we have spent a great deal of time trying to answer their concerns. The first, our –re-enactment hobby was relatively easy to answer. We detailed the safety precautions in place and re-enforced as strongly as we could that our children would come first, before our hobby and we would never knowingly expose them to something that could cause them harm or distress. We offered them more references which were not taken up so hopefully we will satisfy their concerns.  

The second, our finances, was not so easy. At the end of the day they are no much different to where they were when we first saw panel in September. We earn the same, we pay out much the same although we have tried to streamline and add to savings. The other scare to add to the mix is the redundancies at work for me – I had the option to take a voluntary package (which I choose not to) and then their is a risk of compulsory redundancy and I it is horrible trying to second guess what might happen. At the end of the day I can’t, I am hoping for the best in the weeks to come.

The last thing we really have to prepare is our answers to any questions we might be asked once we get to panel and from talking to our social worker they seem straightforward enough. The one that has us stumped is:
Why these children?
I am not sure the answer 'because these are the only ones you put in front of us' works so we have to really think about it. They were the children put to us based on their matching exercises which has to say that the adoption team feel they are suitable but for me I need a better answer to give and I have less than 2 weeks to realise what it is.  

Roll on the 17th and fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!
    Sometimes the answer to why these children is because there is no reason not to, you feel comfortable with their profiles, red flags are manageable ie 'why not' and then go on to say how you will meet their needs and show your awareness of parenting adopted children.
    Apologies - you know all of this already, but sometimes I find it helpful for someone to get the ball rolling and hope that this might help you as it would me!
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete