Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Direct Contact, Round 2, the Realilty

After all my concerns I was, once again, reminded how amazing children are as I can say that our second attempt at direct contact went so much better than the first one. Experience has to pay and it has hammered home that last time we rushed it too soon in to the children's placement with us.

We did what we said. A not-so-local golden arches, a happy meal and a meeting around a table which last just over an hour. The children's behaviour was excellent (all 3 of them!) and so far, a few days later, we have yet to experience any negative after effects which leads me to feel much more positively about this direct content in this future.

What is has reminded me of is my own limitations.

The foster carer and I were able to have a good chat about the children and I was keen to hear how family finding was working. Sadly there has been very little success and it feels like if a final push in the new year fails then another child will be destined for long term foster care. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing foster carers out there but I am pretty sure it is not the same as having some one to call Mummy or Daddy. What really sadden me was my inability to be able to keep this child with his siblings.

My thoughts and prayers this Christmas are with all the children waiting for their own forever Mummy and Daddy. I pray that 2014 brings many new families together.

No comments:

Post a Comment