Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Temper

I wanted to dedicate today's post to my oldest. He is not a sulky child, he does not hold grudges but he does have an amazing temper and, when the mood takes, him the capacity to have a serious tantrum.

It was a Saturday morning, he was tired from a long week at school and excited because Grandma was visiting. Haircut time. So we trouped into town and he went second. He was as good as gold and earned his lolly. Walking to the supermarket after I had to ask him repeatedly to walk nicely, it is a busy road and I wanted him to be safe. I warned him that the consequence of not walking nicely would be the loss of his lolly. He lost his lolly. He lost his temper. He screamed, cried and wouldn't hold hands. I gave him a choice - me or Grandma and he chose Grandma.

It is never fun walking anywhere with a screaming child but I refuse to give in to him. So we did what we needed to in the supermarket and walked to the post office - screaming all the way. At the post office Grandma stood outside whilst youngest and I went inside to post the letter. As I was leaving I saw him wrench his hand away and run, at full speed, Grandma chasing him. What happened next will live in my memory forever. An old lady tried to block the path to stop him so he darted in between 2 parked cars and into the road. I thanked God that there were no cars.

Grandma caught him, gave him the telling off of his life and then handed him over to me. I frog marched him back to the car so fast he was jogging to keep up. I sat him in the car and I stood away from the car, where he could see me but with back to him to calm down. Grandma was devastated. She thought he was going to get run over and that it was her fault. All I could do was comfort her. Luckily he was safe.  

Not 72 hours after this outburst we attended a meeting with his teacher to discuss how he is settling in and we were amazed at how well he has coped with the transition to school. The teacher was honest, he is an active boy with firm opinions and he can be naughty. But on the whole they were really pleased with him and commented on how helpful and pleasant he can be. They accepted the standing on the loo seats and hiding when he didn't want to join in as normal behaviour. They had no concerns about his behaviour, his development or anything.

I was relived. As well as very proud. Now to tackle the temper.


No comments:

Post a Comment