Monday, February 11, 2013

How brave am I?

This week has seen us try to get into something of a routine - preschool has started for the oldest for 2 full days and 1 half day each week and luckily he has settled there really well and we are hearing nothing but good things about him. Youngest has really enjoyed the quality 1 to 1 the she has been getting so our next challenge is to offer oldest the same opportunity.

With the return of my husband to work I have been learning how to manage 2 small child whilst also doing the necessities of the day. It has been an interesting and steep learning curve. But I am managing. I am also perfecting the art of counting to 10 and practising the mantra 'pick your battles'. I did manage to take the out on my own - sucessfully and without any tears, once to do the food shopping and to do the preschool run. The latter was quick, easy and the children knew exactly what to expect as we have done it as a family of 4. The first I was slightly more nervous of but we wrote our lists and a shopping trolley that fit them both in and they helped all the way round meaning I got home feeling a lot more confident about being able to get out of the house with them both.

We are experiencing some behavioural problems as we expected, mainly focused around the children trying to control their circumstances and situation. We are still trying to be as consistent as possible but I have to confess that on occasion the screaming really does get to me. There are no tears usually, just opened mouthed screaming that is designed to get a response. It is something that is putting me off doing some things with them both at once - it is expected behaviour and it shows that they are comfortable and settling with us but I can see that an outsider might see them as being naughty and I don't want to have to explain myself or them to strangers at groups or similar just yet.

Anyway tomorrow is a new day, I am on my own and there is nothing planned or that needs to be done meaning I am free to do whatever I fancy. The question is, how brave am I?

1 comment:

  1. You're doing a great job Vic. I daren't go to the supermarket with my two together so hats off to you for that!

    ReplyDelete