Monday, February 25, 2013

Reassured

Today I was brave, for the first time I found and attended a toddler group with smallest one and I had a lovely time. I got to talk to some other Mums as well as see how other children play and interact which was a lovely reassurance that our children really are doing ok. After dropping the oldest we went on an adventure to find the right building and once found everything was plain sailing.

I had such a lovely time I fully intend to go back to their 2 weekly sessions as there was so much for the children to do - lots of lovely toys including a huge box of musical instruments (which were a but hit), crafty activities, song time plus they organise special activities during the school holidays. I was also recommended other things that I do do with the children including messy play, story time at the library and music fun.

But anyway, the other thing that today taught me was that smallest one was happy to go off, play with other children and she was comfortable enough that although she did keep coming back to check I was still were she left me she was reassured that I was still there and she seemed to gain in confidence - even to telling me that she wants to go back again.

My personal highlight today was later in the afternoon - smallest was tired after her exciting day and oldest was exhausted after a long day in pre school and both wanted nothing else that to curl up on my knee and have cuddles and watch cartoons. It was such an amazing feeling to hold them close and remind myself that I am their Mummy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good day. Snuggle time is always good, as is sleepy children for that matter! :)

    I do find messy play is incredibly good for getting lots of physical contact with kids that's sometimes hard to get with toddlers unless they're sleepy. Even when Munchkin really didn't like hand to hand contact with me much at all, if there was paint involved, or custard, or anything else like that, she forgot completely that she didn't like it! I would definitely go if there's something organised locally, and wear old clothes/take a change of clothes so you can get involved with it too, although you might get some raised eyebrows off other Mums. Munchkin loves painting my face, hands and arms in particular with her fingers, which was great when she really didn't want to touch much, and it all washes off! :D

    ReplyDelete