Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Trust

Today we tried another first - our first swimming trip.

I was feeling positive as they both love playing in the bath. It was great. Oldest loved splashing about on his own but also playing and swimming with us whilst littlest was so full of trust for us that she didn't want to wear her armbands and preferred to cling on to us to keep herself afloat. What this really hammered home was her trust in us.

That led me to thinking that both children have to trust us - to care for them, make sure they are clean, fed and warm as well as safe. I guess with birth children this comes with you providing care from the moment they are born but our children trusted other carers before us so the transfer of that trust is such a big thing for them.

I have to confess that I really enjoyed swimming and hope that we can take them every week - once I have located a costume which is a little more 'child friendly'. I never thought when I dragged out my tankini that the kids would be able to rearrange me whilst we were playing and on that front I nearly lost some of my dignity a couple of times.

This evening, with them tucked up and sleeping (plus husband snoring on the sofa) I can reflect on what a positive experience today has been along with the events of the last few days. I have tried a few new things from swimming to the toddler group to a music class and all of which has gone well, not perfectly but I never expected that, and it has given me the confidence to go back, to do these things again and to look for other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment