Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A sleepover

During half term my husband and I had a chance for another first. Leaving the children with grandparents overnight. We talked about it, worried that it was too soon and worried that if we left it too long we would never do it and decided to take the plunge.

We booked tickets for Sing-a-long Rocky Horror Picture Show and a hotel room for the night, all less than 30 minutes away from my parents where the children would be staying. We then worried a lot more. We knew the children like sleeping at Grandma's house, we have done so a few times and they have always enjoyed it. Plus they love their Grandparents so in the end we decided we had nothing to worry about.

Our evening was fabulous. We went out for a nice meal, a meal where we got to eat our meals whilst they were still hot and we didn't have to share. The show was amazing. Not exactly child friendly which made a nice change and then we got to wake up when we were ready and not by a small voice declaring 'Mummy I want a wee wee'. But. A nice but. I missed them. I missed tucking them into bed, I missed kissing them goodnight and I missed them climbing into bed with us in the morning and bouncing about until one of us decided to get up and make breakfast.

But we did need the time on our own. I think looking after the children, rewarding as it is, is exceptionally hard work and having that break made me realise it even more. We needed the time for us, so we could remember why we are together and what makes us so strong.

We were back at my parents house in the morning much earlier than any one expected. It was lovely that they greeted us at the door with lots of cuddles like they had really missed us no matter how much fun they had with Grandma and Grandad. Oldest small had not had the best night sadly, he had not slept well and we think he has been worried about us coming back so we are really hoping that this has set us up for next time so he has the confidence to know that we will always come back for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment