Wednesday, October 10, 2012

An Expedition

As I said earlier in the week I have made a start on some of my shopping as we may not have a huge amount of time to collect everything we are going to need for our children before the move in. When a couple realises they are going to be parents they have the entire pregnancy to prepare – anything up to 8 whole months. For us we have at the most possibly 3 months which is less than half and although it sounds like a long time it really doesn’t feel like it especially when we need to prepare ourselves for 2 children at different ages and with very different requirements.

So, how did I get started? Looking online is one thing but you can’t tell relative size or practicalities so I took myself to the shops. The massive Kiddicare in Peterborough and a nearby Toys’r’us as well as a huge Asda and what did I conclude? That the world of retail and baby/ children’s products is not geared up for families accepting into their lives 2 children who are not newborn. So much we came across was ‘from birth’ or ‘from 9 months’. Looking round it was presumed that we would already have so much from our children being newborns and that just isn’t the case.

I know that adoption is not a route chosen by the majority and I know that the retail world caters for the majority but it was so hard looking round these places and to so much saying ‘ we don’t need, our children will be too old’. And most of it to things I always wanted – Moses baskets, activity mats and gyms, cot mobiles, high chairs, prams: a whole world of things we will never need. The whole experience, whilst being so very exciting was also upsetting as it was a huge reminder of what I will not have. As much as I can’t wait for the ‘firsts’ that will be ours to share I wish I could have had them all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment