Friday, October 26, 2012

Meeting the Foster Carers

Yesterday was a crazy day as in one swoop we met not only the paediatrician who has assessed the children and prepared their medical reports but we also met the foster carers who they are currently living with.

I have always had a great deal of respect for foster carers – especially since my parents fostered when I was younger as they are expected to perform miracles from taking children at a moments notice, though dealing with whatever needs they come with, to handing them onwards whether that be back to birth families, to more suitable care arrangements or to adoptive parents. I can only imagine how difficult it is to hand over a child you have become attached to even though you know that one day it will happen.

I was really nervous, I desperately wanted this couple to like us, to find us suitable to be parents to the children in their care. The problem was waiting until the end of the day as it dragged. Once we had met them I couldn't believe how silly I had been as they were truly lovely and I cam imagine they will be very supportive when the time comes..

Anyway we went with a list of questions to rival the Spanish Inquisition, pages of them, which went into every single detail we could think of in the hope that we could learn as much as possible about the children and what we might expect. It was really hard to know what to expect. Luckily they answered most questions before we had chance to ask them and they even brought more photos and video clips to show us.

I ought to add that meeting the paediatrician was very interesting as she has completed medicals on both the children since they  have been in the care system. She did go through worst case scenarios for both but her honest opinions were positive.

So, things are looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment