Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What is in a name?

A few months ago there was a, quite frankly, awful article about adopted children and their names which went into the issues surrounding some of the more unusal names and whether it is right for adoptive parents to change names. I don't like the idea of changing a child's name - after all they are not animals to rename when they are rehomed although I can see the sense when there is significant risk for the child or when the name makes then easy to identify and locate.

One of my biggest fears around being matched with children, after waiting forever to be matched, was what if I hated their names. How was I going to use those names every day knowing that I didn't like them and that I hadn't chosen them?

I guess I am lucky.

Today I know the names of the children we are being linked to and much as I desperatly want to share then with the entire world I also want to be able to annouce them to family and friends as any new parent would and because of that I will wait until I know that they are definatly for us and when they will come to live with us and then I will share them with the world.

And the best bit - I like their names. One I would have chosen for my own child and the other is just as nice and I can't wait until I can use them every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment