Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A proper family Christmas

Why is is that Christmas only feels 'proper' when it is spent at the house of your childhood?

This year was the first in many that I was able to do that. it didn't matter that I haven't lived there in what feels like forever and it does not matter that I am no longer a child and that the living room was not covered in toys in various stages of being played with but it still felt like a proper real Christmas. It started in a relaxed way and we decided that we would wait for Dad to finish work before there were any presents which meant a calm morning with bacon sandwiches and preparing  Christmas dinner. This year Dad chose beef rib for a change and as he was working my sister and I were in charge of the kitchen.

I also should mentioned that 6 weeks ago mum broker her foot so was just out of plaster meaning her role was direction rather than action packed.

Presents were around 1pm and I decided I was pretty blessed - my husband and I had set a Small budget and he gave me a lovely body warmer, a key ring, a new torch and a scarf (which is also a bear). My sister found me a Mickey Mouse lunch bx and my parents granted my wish for a Kindle! There were also some other lovely gifts including 2 really thoughtful secret Santa's and stocking fillers that I love.

I did have one small loss of control - at the 6th mention of my cousin, her daughter and her unborn son I decided it was time to mention that I had didn't want to hear people slagging her off as it was just like being slapped in the face as she didn't struggle to get pregnant and how silly she was to get pregnant with no job, no money etc etc. A few tears and I pulled myself back together.

After that, dinner time:
Selection of pate with toast
Beef rib with roasted potatoes, parsnips, carrots and red onion, Yorkshire puddings and sprouts cooked with bacon and chestnuts along with an onion and red wine gravy
Christmas pudding with custard (mum's contribution as I can't make custard) or yule log.

I reckon we out did ourselves and can't imagine many ate better.

We did eat later than normal which left us an evening in front of the various Christmas specials on TV before crashing at no later than 9.30!

Overall a good day but I was glad to come home to my cats.

Next stop - New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment