Friday, January 6, 2012

The Actual Course

So, the first day of our course is done, 3 more left.

It has been a very interesting day but if I am honest my nerves are frazzled as it is a long day when you are meeting lots of new people and being assessed during group discussions and other tasks. The course was very honest. Today we looked at the process and what to expect plus some issues around the needs children have the some of the different challenges faced by children who are adopted. We watched a video from an old BBC documentary showing children who might be taken into care and did an exercise about what will change in our lives when children become a part of it.

Anyway, back to the beginning as my head is a mess.

We managed to arrived in plenty of time, the social workers were there and we were the first couple to arrive but soon the room filled. There were 6 other couples - a really good mix of ages and backgrounds and situations which I think is a great thing as it give the discussions added depth. It was obvious that we were all nervous and very aware of the fact we were being assessed and I am hoping that we can all relax into the course in the next sessions.

The lunch was a bit weird - lots of contributions but no sandwiches! At least we have a better idea for next week. My jam tarts and cheese biscuits went down well but there was plenty left as I had made far too many. I figured better that than not enough. There was a lot of fruit - everyone went for the healthy option which I can understand and one lady made a huge banana cake. I think for next time I am going to do wraps or something similar instead.

I was also pleased that, after all the good advice I got, I was comfortable and dressed 'right'.

We have another 3 days of this course and there are lots of topics left to cover plus we are being visited by adoptive parents and other members of the social work team to cover topics like contact, post adoption support and child development (including attachment and bonding).
Next step in the meantime is tomorrow morning and my medical assessment appointment. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. How odd, no sandwiches! Glad the tarts and biscuits went down well, and that you felt that you were dressed right, nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable and that you got it wrong!

    I am sure it must be really full on, it's probably similar to our preparation for fostering course, my head was swimming!

    All the best for tomorrow and looking forward to hearing how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it went well for you, best of luck for the rest :)

    ReplyDelete