Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Desert Island Disks

After inspiration from Kylie on Not Even A Bag of Sugar I started thinking what my desert island disks might be. I love my music and have to narrow it down to just 7 which might be very hard so, in no particular order, here goes:

1)      The second dance we had at our wedding was ‘Accidentally in Love’ by Counting Crows and one we first heard when it featured in Shrek 2 but seemed so apt. When we got together neither of us was looking for love, neither of us had expected to find it in each and, certainly for me, getting married was the last thing I expected to be doing at the age of 25 but it was one of the best decisions I have ever made following closely the decision to actually give him my phone number.

2)      Bon Jovi’s ‘Bed of Roses. A soothing piece of music that always seems to settle my mind in times of turmoil. I was always a fan of stadium rock (Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams etc etc) and this appeared in one of the many albums I was bought when I was an angry teen having problems at school.

3)‘Sisters’. Everyone has to have seen the joy that is the film White Christmas where those 2 sisters perform their piece entitled ‘Sisters’. My sister and I used to prance about to this when we were children and to this day we people sing it at us when start getting at each other. I would never let anyone harm my sister if I could help it but we still bicker and I can’t see a day when we don’t.

4) In thinking about this I suppose I ought to be cultured and go for a piece of classical music but I am not a fan so I decided to go for an old faithful in my folk collection 'All around my Hat', a Steeleye Span classic of which there are many versions (some not clean enough for a public blog) and all remind me of sitting round campfires at re-enactment events listening to people singing. This isn't the most popular song for campfires but it still stuck with me and makes me smile.

5)  I think for a inspiration piece of 'sing a long at the top of your voice and having a wonderful time' music I am torn between 2 so plan to give them half each for number 5. They are Queen's 'Don't stop me now' and Elton John's 'I'm still Standing'. I do think they speak for themselves.

6) My all time favourite has to 'Romeo and Juliet' by Dire Straits - enough said

7) For my last choice I decided on the song I want playing at my funeral. Just this, nothing else. no hymns, no readings, no one yapping on about me and my life just people sitting down, listening for the 10 minutes the song lasts and then leaving to get on with their, hopefully, happy lives. 'Stairway to Heaven' By Led Zepplin.

Which leads me to ask the same question Kylie did - what are your desert island disks?

No comments:

Post a Comment