Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Life Story Books

Children placed for adoption are often accompanied by a Life Story Book, a book which covers their lives prior to their forever family. It is their own personal history and is supposed to be there for the children in their future so they can understand who they are, where they came from and all the people who played a key part in their early lives.

Ours were delivered by our social worker today and I am gutted. They are awful. The photos are small and fuzzy and there is information incorrect as well as missing such as we have no birth weight for oldest small and the hospital recorded as his place of birth is wrong. There are people who are important in their lives missing such as my parents and sister but the main issue for me is the photograph of their birth mum.

Regardless of my feelings this is the lady who gave birth to my children after being pregnant with them and as such I feel that the children should have more than a single fuzzy, dark, small (less than 2 inches square) photograph of her that she has taken of herself using a mobile phone camera and a mirror. I know it might be years before the children see these books and there is always a chance that they will never be interested but if they are I want them to be of the highest quality. I want them to be able to see the people shown in the photographs and see them in a good way. I also want the information to be available to them and I want the facts to be right.

I feel terrible as some one has put them together and it must have taken some time but I have every intention of sending them back with a request that either they are put right or that I am given what I need to put them right for my children so they can, if they choose, see their pasts and the people from their pasts and have faith that the information contained is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment