Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Not cost effective.


This new story has really bothered me today:
BBC News - UK rejects meningitis B vaccine

I don't normally blog about items in the news unless they affect me and although I hope that it doesn't I am living with the after effects of my child suffering from meningitis.

Oldest small contracted this and, as a result, is profoundly deaf in one ear for which he wears a hearing aid. It is not a problem. We put it in when he gets dressed and it comes out at bath time. He is a pro at wearing it and even helps taking it out and putting it in. Plus it helps, more about this hopefully tomorrow after we have seen the speech and language therapist but we have seen a huge improvement in the 6 months that he has lived with us.

Anyway, back on track. Why has this vaccine been reject? Because it is not cost effective. I know there are complicated mathematics behind this but I am asking myself what is the price of a life? Of limbs? Of hearing? Of any of the life long consequences of contracting this disease.

I accept the need for trails but this vaccine has been licensed. Surely that means something?

I really hope that this is discussed further, I really hope that this decision changes. If something can be done to save lives and the quality of life then surely it is worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment